To make this piece I started out by using the coil method to make my clay into the right shape. Next I fired it in the kiln. When it came out I added acid, dog food, hair, leaves, wire, and salt to my piece and then enclosed it in tin foil. Finally it was put in the pit fire and then sprayed with glaze after it had come out and cooled off. I like how the colors on my piece look. If I was to redo the project I would make my piece less lopsided.
My table divided into two groups to create the two butterflies. I was partners with Camryn for the project. We both worked on one of the wings separately and then we worked on the body together. First we cut out the shapes of our butterfly from cardboard. Next we used the flour and water mixture to stick on the paper. After a few layers of the paper we hot glued the parts together and then sealed our piece with a final layer of paper towels. Now, we are waiting for it to dry so we can paint it. We were successful in making the butterfly wings and the body and putting on all the layers. One of the difficulties we had during this project was attaching the wings to the body. The hot glue wasn't working at first so the wings wouldn't stick. Luckily, after a few tries we were successful. Installation art is 3D art that takes up a large space and is interactive.
To create this mug I rolled out a piece of clay and then cut out a rectangle. Then I rolled the clay together and connected the sides. After that I pushed the bottoms together to create a triangular base. Next I carved out stripes into my mug and attached the handle. My handle was inspired by a bee wing. To do this I folded the clay to create the curve that made it look like a wing. To complete my piece I added yellow, black, and blue glaze. I think the most successful part of my piece was the handle because it looks really good. If I was to redo this project I would add more glaze and try to make my piece less lopsided.
Clay Slab- A piece of flat clay that has been rolled out.